Remember those days years ago when nothing got a better reaction when you were little than something homemade as a gift. Perhaps you get the same joy from homemade things from your children on special occasions.
That doesn't change no matter who you are, how old you are and who you gift to .. be it a thank you, a welcome to the world, a birthday or just because you can.
In this spirit and with Mothers Day on the horizon in the UK I have scoured Ravelry and come up with a list of possible spring knits that hopefully your mum will love.
Qwist - Melanie Berg £3.72 A gorgeous to knit pair of light weight 4-ply Mitts with a simple and wonderful to knit texture. I loved knitting these and if you are feeling adventourous with this cold weather why not knit mum the matching hat. The right yarn and you could get both out of the same skein. (pictured below)
Et Frais – Alicia Plummer £2.99 A gorgeous pair of textured fingering/4ply fingerless mitts and will showcase a skein of gorgeous hand-dyed yarn, Also come with a matching hat for those speedy knitters.
- Edina – Claire Devine £3.50 A fabulous pair of DK mitts, Detail which have mirrored cables that flow along the arm and around the thumb. A fast DK knit I'm sure on circular needles why not even give two at a time a go.
- Urban Hints Shawl – Helen Reed £3.60 This pattern was written by Helen for her The Wool Kitchen Urban Hints Yarn which you can buy on her etsy store. I am knitting this shawl at the moment and I’m loving it. I think this would make a fantastic shawl for mum. Great for beginners looking to attempt their first shawl or a relaxing knit for those more experienced. (pictured below)
- Mimosa Shawl – Boo Knits £4.80 How can you highlight shawls and not include a Boo Knits. A shinybees fav designer and I adore this pattern this was the first shawl I ever knitted, a majority of sticking stitch with a gorgeous and simple lace edging. With a yardage of 380 for the shawlette size (although the pattern is adaptable for a large size) you could use one of those lovely fingering weight yarns in your stash that’s just begging to be knit. Just to add to the excitement this pattern also includes bead placement.
- Seiklus Shawlette – Justyna Lorkowska £3.56 A 400 yards Triangular, asymmetric shawl knit sideways with a picot bind off. Leaf Lace pattern section mixed with sections of garter stitch. Sections could be repeated to make a larger shawl. I think the sections of garter could make this is very quick and satisfying knit.
- Veil of Leithen – Renee Callahan £3.50 A gorgeous triangular more complicated lacy open-work shawl. Designed with 430yards of yarn you are able to use a gorgeous single, skein of fingering-weight yarn that you have been saving for just such an occasion.
- Honeycomb Cables Socks - Louise Tilbrook £3.60 Gorgeous feminine socks to keep mums feet warm if this cold weather never ends. The fab Honeycomb cable runs along the front and back of these socks and would make a fantastic knit ... I want some of these for myself (pictured below)
- Arkin Socks - Rachel Coopey £3.50 Fabulous cabled socks which travel the length of the foot. A great pattern knitted top down, these could be a great knit for a quick 2 at a time knit for mum in a fantastic semi solid yarn.
Hope these give you a few options for a gift knit that mum will never want to take off and of course if all else fails and Mum is a knitter you can always treat her to something from my store ;)